Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Cake in Wonderland
The Mad-Hatter, the Duchess, the Queen, the Cat... even Alice herself! They live in a muddled world where no-one is really sure of what's up and what's down, or even whether they are the same person they were yesterday... or this morning.
Like me, it seems Alice is a bit 'lost', but "curioser and curioser", she's also learning more and more as she wanders through Wonderland.
Some of you may have noticed the under-the-influence-of-Alice references in the past few posts, so dedicating a post on its own seemed the obviously appropriate and necessary thing to do. Hold on to your hats...!
1. "Be what you would seem to be, or if you'd like it put more simply: Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." - The Duchess on being yourself
2. "We're all mad here." - The Cat on sanity
3. If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does." - The Duchess on world dynamics
4. "Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it." - The Duchess on ethics
5. "What is the use of a book, without pictures or conversations?" - Alice on literature
6. "Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction." - The Doorknob on following instructions
7. "Oh, how I wish I could shut up like a telescope! I think I could, if I only knew how to begin." - Alice on disappearing
8. "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - The King on storytelling
9. "It was much pleasanter at home, when one wasn't always growing larger and smaller, and being ordered about by mice and rabbits." - Alice on nostalgia
10. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - The Queen on moving forward
11. "After a fall such as this, I shall think nothing of tumbling downstairs!" - Alice on the theory of relativity
12. "I almost wish I hadn't gone down that rabbit-hole — and yet — and yet — it's rather curious, you know, this sort of life! I do wonder what can have happened to me!" - Alice on regret
13. "It would be so nice if something made sense for a change."- Alice on rationality