Saturday, November 6, 2010
Things I've learnt from the big screen.
(sometimes re-watched over and over on the small screen)
I had initially included the source movie of each but decided to take them out.
It would be more fun to let you guess.
(No prizes for correct answers. All I can offer is a fleeting sense of self-satisfaction)
1. There exists a different pie which is perfect for every occasion.
2. The most telling parts of a relationship are the conversations at the beginning and the conversations at the end.
3. If you think you have a really awesome idea, don't share it with someone smarter than you.
4. The small things you loved about someone at the beginning of a relationship, are very likely to be the big things you will hate about them at the end of it.
5. Decidedly leaving something unnamed will not make you any less attached to it.
6. You may think you are too heartbroken and depressed to ever laugh again. But you will... when something is really really funny.
7. "The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem."
8. You are your own worst enemy and your own best friend.
9. The more embellishments in a story, the more likely it is to be untrue.
10. It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all. Unfortunately, you will not realize you had a choice in the matter until it is far too late.
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
...or so they say.
Regardless, everything is better with Cake. Enjoy a slice or two to help you through the day.
1. An idea for change may sound very simple and quite revolutionary in theory, but in practice, it will often prove far more difficult to derive the desired outcome.
2. Music, like wine, is one of the oldest forms of therapy. Wherever possible, engage in both.
3. If you have nothing to say, there's no need for some comment on the weather.
4. Sadness need not be dramatic, and more often than not, it is far from it.
5. It is difficult to fly when you are attached to something pulling you down to the ground.
6. Not all change takes place in cold turkey fashion, baby steps may be embarked on, but when all is said and done, cold turkey is still the most effective way to force it.
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
The Mad-Hatter, the Duchess, the Queen, the Cat... even Alice herself! They live in a muddled world where no-one is really sure of what's up and what's down, or even whether they are the same person they were yesterday... or this morning.
Like me, it seems Alice is a bit 'lost', but "curioser and curioser", she's also learning more and more as she wanders through Wonderland.
Some of you may have noticed the under-the-influence-of-Alice references in the past few posts, so dedicating a post on its own seemed the obviously appropriate and necessary thing to do. Hold on to your hats...!
1. "Be what you would seem to be, or if you'd like it put more simply: Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." - The Duchess on being yourself
2. "We're all mad here." - The Cat on sanity
3. If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does." - The Duchess on world dynamics
4. "Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it." - The Duchess on ethics
5. "What is the use of a book, without pictures or conversations?" - Alice on literature
6. "Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction." - The Doorknob on following instructions
7. "Oh, how I wish I could shut up like a telescope! I think I could, if I only knew how to begin." - Alice on disappearing
8. "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - The King on storytelling
9. "It was much pleasanter at home, when one wasn't always growing larger and smaller, and being ordered about by mice and rabbits." - Alice on nostalgia
10. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" - The Queen on moving forward
11. "After a fall such as this, I shall think nothing of tumbling downstairs!" - Alice on the theory of relativity
12. "I almost wish I hadn't gone down that rabbit-hole — and yet — and yet — it's rather curious, you know, this sort of life! I do wonder what can have happened to me!" - Alice on regret
13. "It would be so nice if something made sense for a change."- Alice on rationality
Sunday, October 31, 2010
I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!
- Alice in Wonderland
- Alice in Wonderland
1. A momentary relapse will often result in taking three steps back when you intended to take a baby one forward.
2. When purchasing a shirt and tie for someone older and wiser, go bold, but not too bold. And listen to the salesperson.
3. The overlap of people who value their privacy and people who are on social networks is a null set. If you value your social interactions more than your privacy, then you are on Facebook; otherwise, you are not.
4. It is hard to squeeze 7 years worth of a company's history into a 2 hour movie. It is inevitable that yes, some things will be left out.
5. Birthday parties with a children's theme will often spur people to act childishly.
6. If an expert tea taster tells you Darjeeling is his favourite tea, you should probably try Darjeeling.
7. It is cumbersome to have an argument when the participants do not share the same vocabulary.
8. If you don't remember putting on a clown suit, then you definitely had too much to drink.
9. Living like a hermit and living off-the-grid are two distinctly different ambitions. Doing both is most ambitious.
10. "Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating."
11. Being a personal shopper is more difficult than it seems. But BBM helps.
12. GPS is the easiest way to find someone when you are lost. (It is also the easiest way to stalk someone.)
13. No-one ever knows what happens behind closed doors.